For the second straight month, we saw more sales year over year on a monthly basis. August 2023 had 65 sales in the area, compared with 52 in 2022, which is also more than any year from 2008 through 2015. Buyers remain quite cautious and more patient than they were the past couple of years- but do make offers when everything lines up at a property they really like. Inventory remains very low, and more or less unchanged from a month ago. Last month also saw the most expensive residential sale that I’m aware of- $10M for a ski in ski out property in Prospect. If you aren’t already receiving my monthly newsletters which include my market reports and community updates, please click the button below:
The following year over year graphs compare the previous 365 days with the same period one year ago (i.e. 8/31/2021 through 8/31/2022 versus the same period from 2022 to 2023). With such a small market (sample size) these numbers can jump around, so it’s worth comparing these graphs over a period of time. My Gunnison and Crested Butte real estate market report archives can be found on this page. If you are looking for other statistics, such as inventory, or a more specific neighborhood analysis, please Contact Me.
- Crested Butte South: Available inventory decreased in this neighborhood slightly, with 7 of the 15 listings currently under contract
- Mount Crested Butte (All Residential): 21 of the 90 listings in Mount Crested Butte are currently under contract. For condos only, see below:
- Mount Crested Butte (Condos/Townhomes): The number of condos under contract doubled compared to one month ago. I do feel like there is some great value to be had in this market.
- Crested Butte: 8 homes are under contract downtown, which is actually more than we’ve seen in a while.
- Crested Butte Area: This category includes neighborhoods such as Skyland, Larkspur, Riverbend, Meridian Lake and Trapper’s Crossing. Take a drive through Buckhorn Ranch- it’s amazing how much construction there is right now.
- Gunnison: There are only 29 current listings in Gunnison. The “Gunnison Rising” development seems to have hit a snag.
- Gunnison Area: This includes areas such as Dos Rios, Ohio Meadows, Cranor Hill, and Hartman Rocks. Inventory dropped slightly in the areas surrounding Gunnison compared to a month ago.
- Total Residential Sales: This category covers our entire MLS area, including Lake City, Pitkin, Crested Butte, Gunnison, and points between.
- Land Sales (Upper valley from CB South through Mount Crested Butte): Vacant land inventory continues to increase in the Crested Butte area, with slow sales overall.
- Land Sales (Total): This category also covers our entire MLS area, including Almont, Lake City, Pitkin, Crested Butte, Gunnison, and other parts of the Crested Butte/Gunnison area. Vacant land inventory is rising faster than it is in the residential sector.
Crested Butte/ Gunnison Home Sales, August 2023:
Crested Butte/ Gunnison Land Sales, August 2023:
Source: Gunnison Country Association of Realtors’ MLS/ CREN. Reported sales not necessarily sold or listed by Frank Konsella and are intended only to show area trends.