April 2020 saw 25 sales in the Crested Butte and Gunnison area, compared to 32 last year, but 55 in 2018. As you may recall, the first half of 2019 started slow but finished strong. More than half of the sales were in the Gunnison area; usually 60% of the sales are in the Crested Butte area. Gunnison has more local buyers, so that isn’t entirely surprising when travel to Gunnison county is limited and all hotels and short term rentals are currently closed. In April, showing homes was not allowed, but we are now able to show homes again with certain restrictions, so if you’ve been waiting to look, give me a call and we can set something up. May is generally a slow month before things tend to ramp up again in mid-June. If you aren’t already receiving my monthly newsletters which include my market reports and community updates, please click the button below:
The following year over year graphs compare the previous 365 days with the same period one year ago (i.e. 4/30/2018 through 4/30/2019 versus the same period from 2019 to 2020). With such a small market (sample size) these numbers can jump around, so it’s worth comparing these graphs over a period of time. My Gunnison and Crested Butte real estate market report archives can be found on this page. If you are looking for other statistics, such as inventory, or a more specific neighborhood analysis, please Contact Me.
- Crested Butte South: Inventory is extremely limited in CB South, with just 13 active listings, and none under contract.
- Mount Crested Butte (All Residential): Perhaps surprisingly, inventory remains nearly unchanged from mid-winter. For condos only, see below:
- Mount Crested Butte (Condos/Townhomes): Lower-priced condos remain in short supply near the ski area.
- Crested Butte: Interestingly, the number of properties under contract in town doubled compared to one month ago.
- Crested Butte Area: This category includes neighborhoods such as Skyland, Larkspur, Riverbend, Meridian Lake and Trapper’s Crossing. 4 of the 54 listings are currently under contract, with a median price over $1 Million.
- Gunnison: As mentioned above, Gunnison remains one of the busiest markets in the area, with many homes going under contract within just a few days.
- Gunnison Area: This includes areas such as Dos Rios, Ohio Meadows, Cranor Hill, and Hartman Rocks. Along with downtown Gunnision, the surrounding area has been on of the busiest this spring.
- Total Residential Sales: This category covers our entire MLS area, including Lake City, Pitkin, Crested Butte, Gunnison, and points between.
- Land Sales (Upper valley from CB South through Mount Crested Butte): Land sales remain weak, perhaps due to high building costs in the area. On the other hand, buyers may find great value on vacant land given the large supply.
- Land Sales (Total): This category also covers our entire MLS area, including Almont, Lake City, Pitkin, Crested Butte, Gunnison, and other parts of the Crested Butte/Gunnison area.
Crested Butte/ Gunnison Home Sales, April 2020
Crested Butte/ Gunnison Land Sales, April 2020:
Source: Gunnison Country Association of Realtors’ MLS/ CREN. Reported sales not necessarily sold or listed by Frank Konsella and are intended only to show area trends.