April 2019 ended up being a slow month in Crested Butte real estate. Only 33 sales were recorded in the Crested Butte and Gunnison area- far below that of the past few years. On the dollar volume side, however, it was only a small dip compared to last year. Additionally, pending contracts are up significantly compared to month ago- much of it happening after the ski area closed for the season. This commonly happens- many buyers will visit during off-season when it tends to be easier to view properties that may be rented during busier months of the year.
Inventory continues to be tight, but generally spring and early summer leads to new listings. If you or someone you know is contemplating selling local property, now is a great time to do so. If you aren’t already receiving my monthly newsletters which include my market reports and community updates, please click the button below:
The following year over year graphs compare the previous 365 days with the same period one year ago (i.e. 4/30/2017 through 4/30/2018 versus the same period from 2018 to 2019). With such a small market (sample size) these numbers can jump around, so it’s worth comparing these graphs over a period of time. My Gunnison and Crested Butte real estate market report archives can be found on this page. If you are looking for other statistics, such as inventory, or a more specific neighborhood analysis, please contact me.
- Crested Butte South: CB South home values have continued to soar, accompanied by short days on market and low inventory. Almost half of the listed properties are currently under contract.
- Mount Crested Butte (All Residential): Mount Crested Butte is an area that saw a big jump in pending contracts since the end of March. For condos only, see below:
- Mount Crested Butte (Condos/Townhomes): Condos at the ski area continue to increase in price.
- Crested Butte: Inventory in downtown Crested Butte continues to be tight, and well-priced and presented homes tend to sell quickly.
- Crested Butte Area: This category includes neighborhoods such as Skyland, Larkspur, Riverbend, Meridian Lake and Trapper’s Crossing. This is another local area with a large number of pending contracts.
- Gunnison: Gunnison real estate is very busy right now, and it is becoming more difficult to find houses for sale. Gunnison buyers should be prepared to act quickly if they find a home they like.
- Gunnison Area: This includes areas such as Dos Rios, Ohio Meadows, Cranor Hill, and Hartman Rocks.
- Total Residential Sales: This category covers our entire MLS area, including Lake City, Pitkin, Crested Butte, Gunnison, and points between.
- Land Sales (Upper valley from CB South through Mount Crested Butte): Crested Butte land continues to sell, though recent activity has been slow thanks to the heavy snow in February and March.
- Land Sales (Total): This category also covers our entire MLS area, including Almont, Lake City, Pitkin, Crested Butte, Gunnison, and other parts of the Crested Butte/Gunnison area. As above.
Crested Butte/ Gunnison Home Sales, April 2019
Crested Butte/ Gunnison Land Sales, April 2019:
Source: Gunnison Country Association of Realtors’ MLS/ CREN. Reported sales not necessarily sold or listed by Frank Konsella and are intended only to show area trends.