2016 got off to a good start in the Crested Butte and Gunnison real estate market. January is typically a slow month, since any properties that sell likely went under contract in November and December- a slow time since many buyers are enjoying the holidays, not shopping for real estate. Still, sales were a bit ahead of January 2015, as well as most of the past 10 years. February looks to continue the trend, looking at the number of properties currently under contract. If you aren’t already receiving my monthly newsletters which include my market reports and community updates, please click the button below:
The following year over year graphs compare the previous 365 days with the same period one year ago (i.e. 1/31/2014 through 1/31/2015 versus the same period from 2015 to 2016). With such a small market (sample size) these numbers can jump around, so it’s worth comparing these graphs over a period of time. My Crested Butte and Gunnison market report archives can be found on this page. If you are looking for other statistics, such as inventory, or a more specific neighborhood analysis, please contact me.
- Crested Butte South: Falling days on market, an increase in sales, and a six month supply of homes are all signs of a healthy market in CB South.
- Mount Crested Butte (All Residential): Sales near the ski area have slowed down somewhat. Buyers aren’t finding the same value that they were just a year or two ago, and that seems to be the main reason for the slowdown, along with a small inventory in some price ranges.
- Mount Crested Butte (Condos/Townhomes): The condo market is similar to Mount Crested Butte in general, though the good news is a large number of properties under contract especially at the new Timbers complex.
- Crested Butte: While the median sales price actually fell in town, other statistics remain similar.
- Crested Butte Area: This category includes neighborhoods such as Skyland, Larkspur, Riverbend, and Trapper’s Crossing. Year over year, sales in these areas are up roughly 35%.
- Gunnison: Gunnison remains the most active part of the local market, with nearly double the number of sales and a 22% increase in median home price.
- Gunnison Area: This includes areas such as Dos Rios, Ohio Meadows, Cranor Hill, and Hartman Rocks. The areas surrounding Gunnison aren’t seeing quite the same increases as those within the city limits, but sales are up here as well.
- Total Residential Sales: This category covers our entire MLS area, including Lake City, Pitkin, Crested Butte, Gunnison, and points between.
- Land Sales (Upper valley from CB South through Mount Crested Butte): The median price is falling, while buyers concentrate on the more affordable areas such as CB South, but sales are up 76%.
- Land Sales (Total): This category also covers our entire MLS area, including Lake City, Pitkin, Crested Butte, Gunnison, and points between.
Crested Butte/ Gunnison Property Sales, January 2016
Crested Butte/ Gunnison Land Sales, January 2016:
Source: Gunnison Country Association of Realtors’ MLS. Reported sales not necessarily sold or listed by Frank Konsella and are intended only to show area trends.