January is generally a slower time for real estate sales in Crested Butte and 2020 was no different. Only 27 transactions were recorded, compared to 35 last year and 24 in 2018. That said, January was a very busy month if you’re looking at properties going under contract, with a big uptick compared to the past 2 months and more than double for the same time period last year. Mount Crested Butte properties seemed to be particularly popular, especially in the lower price range at complexes like Three Seasons and Timbers. Given continued strong buyer interest and low interest rates, I would expect February to continue the momentum we saw in January. If you aren’t already receiving my monthly newsletters which include my market reports and community updates, please click the button below:
The following year over year graphs compare the previous 365 days with the same period one year ago (i.e. 1/31/2018 through 1/31/2019 versus the same period from 2019 to 2020). With such a small market (sample size) these numbers can jump around, so it’s worth comparing these graphs over a period of time. My Gunnison and Crested Butte real estate market report archives can be found on this page. If you are looking for other statistics, such as inventory, or a more specific neighborhood analysis, please Contact Me.
- Crested Butte South: Inventory remains limited in CB South, with just 12 active listings.
- Mount Crested Butte (All Residential): As mentioned above, Mt Crested Butte saw a big increase in properties under contract in the past month. For condos only, see below:
- Mount Crested Butte (Condos/Townhomes): Choices remain limited under $500,000.
- Crested Butte: Sales in town remain steady as seen in the graphs below.
- Crested Butte Area: This category includes neighborhoods such as Skyland, Larkspur, Riverbend, Meridian Lake and Trapper’s Crossing. 6 of the 66 listings are currently under contract, with a median price over $1 Million.
- Gunnison: Gunnison has consistently had the fewest Days on Market in the area.
- Gunnison Area: This includes areas such as Dos Rios, Ohio Meadows, Cranor Hill, and Hartman Rocks.
- Total Residential Sales: This category covers our entire MLS area, including Lake City, Pitkin, Crested Butte, Gunnison, and points between.
- Land Sales (Upper valley from CB South through Mount Crested Butte): Land sales remain weak, perhaps due to high building costs in the area. On the other hand, buyers may find great value on vacant land.
- Land Sales (Total): This category also covers our entire MLS area, including Almont, Lake City, Pitkin, Crested Butte, Gunnison, and other parts of the Crested Butte/Gunnison area.
Crested Butte/ Gunnison Home Sales, January 2020
Crested Butte/ Gunnison Land Sales, January 2020:
Source: Gunnison Country Association of Realtors’ MLS/ CREN. Reported sales not necessarily sold or listed by Frank Konsella and are intended only to show area trends.