August 2015 saw a slight slowdown in home sales in the Gunnison/ Crested Butte area. 35 closings is above average for the past few years, but behind the 49 in 2014. That said, 2014 started off very slow, while the summer of 2015 has overall been very busy. The most noticeable market shift remains land sales- which have more than doubled in the Crested Butte area, year over year. Also remaining active is Gunnison, which has had 72% more sales in the past 12 months. If you aren’t already receiving my monthly newsletters which include my market reports and what’s going on in the area, please click the button below:
The following year over year graphs compare the previous 365 days with the same period one year ago (i.e. 8/31/2013 through 8/31/2014 versus the same period from 2014 to 2015). With such a small market (sample size) these numbers can jump around, so it’s worth comparing these graphs over a period of time. My Crested Butte and Gunnison market report archives can be found on this page. If you are looking for other statistics, such as inventory, or a more specific neighborhood analysis, please contact me.
- Crested Butte South: 10 of the 24 current listings are under contract, mostly at the lower price range. CB South reamins a strong part of the local real estate market.
- Mount Crested Butte (All Residential): Total sales remain similar, while the average sales price is down, mostly due to some large sales last year. Currently, 28 of the 193 listings are under contract, up from last month.
- Mount Crested Butte (Condos/Townhomes): 22 of the 141 condos/ townhomes near the ski area are currently under contract, an increase since last month. Inventory at many price points remains tight.
- Crested Butte: The town of Crested Butte remains strong, though the number of properties currently under contract is down slightly.
- Crested Butte Area: This category includes neighborhoods such as Skyland, Larkspur, Riverbend, and Trapper’s Crossing. This area can have some of the largest sales in the area- resulting in the high average sales price.
- Gunnison: The Gunnison market has been the busiest segment of the local market for the past few months. Why? One factor is the continued escalation of prices in the Crested Butte area- driving some buyers downvalley to Gunnison. Now that school is back in session, this area will see a bit of a slowdown compared to the busy summer (Gunnison is a more traditional market than Crested Butte)
- Gunnison Area: This includes areas such as Dos Rios, Ohio Meadows, Cranor Hill, and Hartman Rocks. Like the town of Gunnison, the surrounding area has seen incresed sales over the past 12 months.
- Total Residential Sales: This category covers our entire MLS area, including Lake City, Pitkin, Crested Butte, Gunnison, and points between.
- Land Sales (Greater Crested Butte area): The increase in land sales in the Crested Butte area has been noticeable over the past few months, resulting in twice the sales year over year.
- Land Sales (Total): This category also covers our entire MLS area, including Lake City, Pitkin, Crested Butte, Gunnison, and points between.
Crested Butte/ Gunnison Property Sales, August 2015
Crested Butte/ Gunnison Land Sales, August 2015:
Source: Gunnison Country Association of Realtors’ MLS. Reported sales not necessarily sold or listed by Frank Konsella and are intended only to show area trends.